Recent Guest Comments From Our On Site Guest Book (Updated Regularly)
Some of Our Favorite Comments From Past Guestbooks (Undated Below)
Past Guests May Add Additional Comments In Our Online Guestbook Here
- Guest House - We stayed at River Estate for 10 nights with our 2 teenagers. The house has everything a family needs to enjoy a stay in Kauai. We paddled down the river to the beach almost every day, what a treat, keep in mind that this is not one of the better known beaches on the North Shore however it is very nice for enjoying sunsets and playing in the river. The house is about 20 minutes from Hanalei, 5 minutes from Tunnels and 15 minutes from Ke'e beach, so a car is definitely needed. Enjoy your stay!
The Mahoney Family (4/2/14)
- Guest House - In our imperfect world, we found our stay at River Estate to be a fulfilling, fun experience. The setting is romantic, the accommodations are modern and immaculate, very comfortable with peaceful sounds of the nearby river flowing by. The spirit of a place- important to any traveler or for those just pulling the plug on vacation- is blissful, you'll be surrounded with well attended beautifully landscaped gardens. A short drive to any number of wonderful beaches. You'll find yourself bliss-ed in exotic tropical settings that offer excellent value and privacy! Can't wait to return soon!
The McCord Family, Ca (2/4/14)
- Riverhouse - Peace-filled, kind, comforting. Symphony of baritone frog, strident roosters, and quiet--no sound--surround you. The yard is very pleasant in the morning. Sit by the slow clear stream behind this home while birds feast on guava and java fruit (which sometimes plunk into the river), enjoy the flap of banana tree leaves across the road, or practice tai chi. The tall ti plants with purple leaf crowns are a constant comfort, graceful, beautiful, and strong. The leaves (luau) once wrapped goodies baked at the prime Hawaiian feast. We found ourselves getting up early and just listening on the lanai, keeping the doors and windows open. We didn’t want to busy up all our days. This is a clean, well maintained and elegantly presented home. Kitchen is well stocked, former guests keep the cupboards un-bare. We added to the offerings. The master bedroom is gorgeous—spacious, very comfortable bed, hardwood floors (throughout home), lovely view out its sliding glass doors to its own deck. The two bedrooms on the other end of the house are lovely—with views, places to sit on small porches, tasteful furnishings. The owner, Mark, knows how to decorate with quality—antiques, solid furnishings. No bargain basement feeling here, whatsoever, lots of attention to detail. And oh so clean and fresh. Great water pressure in showers, amazing really. Lots of white towels in the linen closets and beach towels too. Washer and dryer in utility room that both work very well. So easy to feel right at home the very first day. We hung out here and felt happy, even blessed. Mark leaves all that you need at the beach—mats and chairs, boogie boards, handy cooler for packing drinks and lunches. Because the North Shore offers so much to its visitors, we stayed local—great restaurants and bars in Hanalei, many hikes and beaches, cute little places to shop in town. We were very impressed with how friendly and helpful the merchants were to us. But at day’s end, you’ll be glad to return to Riverhouse and its seclusion, its quiet, its beauty. Soak in the feel-so-good hot tub on the lanai, open your pores to Aloha time and the peace this slice of paradise offers you. Mahalo Nui Loa, Mark, for this gem. We shall return to Riverhouse and practice Aloha in between.
The Johnsons, Ca (12/20/13)
- Guest House - We had such a wonderful trip to Kauai. It was perfect for us to stay the first half of the trip in Poipu and the second half here at River Estate here in Hanalei.This was by far my favorite part of the island. Hiking on the Napali Coast trail and snorkeling at Tunnels beach the water is so clear and I lost track of how many turtles I saw. Limahuli National Botanical Garden was a big highlight for us. We spent almost 3 hours there and it was well worth doing. We learned everything we were hoping to do on this trip about indigenous people and plants of Hawaii right there down the street. Thank you River Estate for being a huge part of our best vacation ever.
The Freidmans. Co (11/28/13)
- Riverhouse - Thank you for a wonderful week. It was our belated honeymoon and what a beautiful place we found. We loved the house. Mark thank you for taking control and helping us. The house was clean and very well appointed. We did so many things and learned so much about the island. Our favorites were the Jack Harter helicopter trip, hiking the trails you suggested and snorkeling at Tunnels. This is a great house with so much character and tranquility. Thanks for a great time Mark.
The Evansens, Thousand Oaks, Ca (11/21/13)
- Riverhouse - We had a great stay here in the Riverhouse. It was the perfect place for us to stay. We love the North Shore . It’s so beautiful and is the perfect place to start our lives together together in wedded bliss here.Thank you for the recommendations on the massage too. We enjoyed tooling around the island. There’s so much to see. We absolutely enjoyed our stay here on Kauai. There was so much to discover and so many beautiful memories for us!!
The Hatch Party, Bourne, Ma (11/14/13)
- Guest House - What a truly magical, enchanting island! We experienced a storm and watched the river overflow it’s banks, saw a seal sleeping on the beach, rainbows everywhere,sunset and venus rising from Princeville Resort, flowers in the Hanalei River when we were kayaking there, waterfalls coming off the mountains, two farmers markets and a 45th birthday celebrated with a massage and dinner brought in to the house. This place was a beautiful relaxing retreat that has filled our spirit and awakened our souls….So much love and beauty!! Mahalo and Aloha Mark.
Clint Gans, San Louis Obispo, Ca (11/13/13)
- Riverhouse - Peace-filled, kind, comfortable environment. Symphony of baritone frog, strident roosters, plunk of fruit falling in the river and segments of quiet, no sound. Clean, well maintained and preserved. Kitchen is well stocked former guests keep the cupboards not bare. We will add to the offerings. So easy to feel right at home from the very first day and when we spent time in the house we were happy to do so. Get up early, just listen…don’t busy up all your days here. Soak in Aloha time. Let the humidity open your pores and the peace and soft environment open your hearts. Be here now.
Johnson Party, Lewiston, Id (10/31/13)
- Guest House - Have had a wonderful two weeks in Hawaii culminating with a magnificent stay in this corner of paradise. Every need catered to including roosters at dawn. I discovered River Estate in the Lonely Planet Guide. It has never failed us and this time it understated the beauty of the location. For two Aussies from Down Under it was a perfect place to get away to in Hawaii.Many thanks for providing this home away from home. Liz Irwin here….Thanks Mark so much - Hawaii au natural here in your secluded houseWe have had a wonderful time in Hawaii and our accommodations and hosts wherever we have stayed have been the essence of that. Best wishes….
John Irwin, Australia (10/19/13)
- Riverhouse - Thank you for a wonderful home base for our 10 year anniversary. Was great to be away from the everyday and relax in paradise. We had a lot of great adventures and every day as wonderful. Even when the Hanalei Bridge was flooded. Tunnels was empty for us for most of the morning. It's hard to pick our favorite of all the hikes, activities and relaxing we did. Oh gotta go see the slack key in Hanalei was wonderful.
Washington Party, Ca (10/7/13)
- Guest House - Aloha my name is Hailey. I live in Arizona. This is my first time going to Hawaii. I am 6 years old. I learned to boogie board today. It takes a long time to get to Hawaii. I love the shave ice in Hawaii….Mark, we had a wonderful week with our kids! Your home was a wonderful place to come back to and relax!
The St. Clair Family, Az (10/6/13)
- We want you to know that we had a wonderful time at the house, and it was, indeed, everything we hoped it would be. The only thing that didn’t cooperate was the weather, but that made us even more grateful we stayed at River Estate because it has so many amenities. We watched videos on TV, stayed in touch with business clients on the internet, and called directly to the mainland free of charge. On that rainy, rainy day, I got 6 hours of work done on one of my projects. Have laptop; will travel!
Joe Robinson and Rick Mellen (03/18/10)
- Riverhouse - Mark we had a wonderful time here as part of our honeymoon. This place is even better than we expected. Thanks for all your help over the phone before we arrived and during our stay. Thanks again for everything. We hope to be back some day to celebrate a wedding anniversary.
James Party, London England (9/19/13)
- Guest House - Mark, this house is the perfect antidote for staying in a hotel which we did for 4 days prior to coming to River Estate. We really enjoyed the house and I loved how clean it s (that's a mom for you) Also loved the Balinese/Indonesian touches. My family is from Jakarta and Bombay. As you can see we spend a lot of time on the beach then came back to the house for nap time. We definitely will come back to Kauai as it's truly special Thank you for creating such a lovely home for us visitors. Aloha and Mahalo.
The Tan-McGrory Party, Sommerville, Ma (8/25/13)
- Guest House - Thank you for keeping us posted during the "Flossie" storm scare. Luckily it wasn't much more than a rainy night. And thank you for an amazing vacation. Your property alone is a paradise but we ventured out to many beautiful spots to make our first Hawaii vacation perfect! We listened to the river morning and nights!!! Your chairs and boogie boards were used daily!
The Keenan Family, New York (8/2/13)
- Riverhouse - What a fabulous place to enjoy the North Shore. The weather was perfect - Hot and sunny. Perfect for swimming. Your home was luxurious. Our 16 year old loved the privacy of his own room. We all agree with the previous writers recommendations. Thank you for a fabulous stay Mark!c1
The Labront Family, Ma (7/8/13)
- Guest House - I just realized that I entered the wrong month here in the book. We've gotten so relaxed we forgot what month it is! This is my first time to Hawaii (Nicki) and I will never forget this beautiful island and our beautiful wedding at Tunnels beach and THIS AMAZING HOME! Can't wait to come back!
Jim and Nicki Schumacher, Ca (6/24/13)
- Guest House - Mahalo Mark! This is our second stay in this wonderful Guest House and once again we had a wonderful relaxing time here. We can't wait until our next visit!
The Thompsons, Aurora, Co (6/7/13)
- Guest House - We had a tremendous, truly memorable time here. The home was better than we had hoped.
The Witowski Party, Ma (5/3/13)
- Riverhouse - Best thing about this house? Comfy beds! It's very clean with lots of handy kitchen stuff, great water pressure and plenty of hot water. We loved it here and definitely want to come back. This is paradise!
Patterson Family, Redwood Valley, Ca (3/18/13)
- Riverhouse - As always when good things come to an end it's tough to deal with. We as a group are in awe of this wonderful beautiful paradise Kauai.This is my first visit here and my brother in law's 3rd to Hawaii and first to Kauai. I believe they've realized that everything you ever imagined good is this island in a nutshell. To whomever reads this make sure you take time to get out on the ocean here. We had a great dinner cruise down the Napali with the water calming for just our visit. Then rough again. So live, laugh and love while you stay here it's truly healing. Thanks for sharing these wonderful accommodations with us Mark.
La Jiness Family, Washington (3/8/13)
- Life at River Estate has been good to say the least. We are both stricken by the idea of leaving tomorrow. Despite all the handy photos on the website River Estate still exceeded our expectations. The house is meticulously maintained and tastefully detailed as well as being extremely comfortable and convenient to live in. Mark was a gracious host, always available to answer our questions like "Where do we snorkel when the surf is high?" Th setting and grounds at River Estate are fabulous. The river on the right, the mountains behind, the neighbor's oversized tree providing borrowed scenery, the sense of drama and mystery as you come around the last corner at the end of the end of the driveway. The plants that punctuate the river bank, sometimes revealing sometimes concealing the clear flowing water. The garden is truly a fine senses experience. The citrus grove is useful and many of the flowers are fragrant. The sound of the river changes with the tide. The rustle of the giant bamboo grove across the river. We loved watching the Black Crowned Night Heron stalking it's prey on it's favorite submerged log and seeing the White Rumped Shamas chase each other around the garden and watching the Japanese White Eyes flittering through the bamboo. Thanks so much Mark for creating and sharing this magical place!
The Wharmby Family, Oxnard, Ca (3/7/13)
- Guest House - Mark, thank you so much for making your place so comfortable for us. The house is in such a beautiful, peaceful spot and we found it extremely relaxing. We hope to return soon. I agree with you we were"lucky" to be here in this spot. It's so special. I am always so sad to leave!
Hitner Family, Wa (3/4/13)
- We barely know what day it is any more. This is a fabulous property and accommodations. We love Kauai and this is the best little piece of paradise we have found. We've been here many many many times too! This "Little grass shack" is perfect. When we entered it was both homey and luxurious. Our very favorite part was waking up to the rain, river, birds and all the natural sounds of this private paradise. I adore the gardens and am taking home all kinds of ideas as well as memories of the wonderful time we spent here at River Estate. Mahalo and Aloha until next time.
Reef Family, Oregon (2/26/13)
- Riverhouse - Love in blossom turned to love in bloom in this fine abode….the richest memory of the north shore….May all who enter share that splendor!
Antonelli/Sanford party, Washington (2/20/13)
- Riverhouse - So sad today. We have this little slice of paradise. I asked my granddaughter what she liked about the trip and she said "Everything". The house was perfect and we loved the setting
We spend every day at the beaches close by. They are much better than the beaches on the South side. We were relaxed and content with no need to go beyond Hanalei. Thanks Mark for such a great vacation. From the kids ….We had a wonderful stay!
Woolman Family, Utah (1/26/13)
- Some Favorites from the Past.....
- Our stay was like a Stan Getz solo. A perfect melodic memory with everlasting lyricism.
Christine and Eddie Vay, New York, Ny
- The estate is the crown and the Guest House is the jewel in the crown.
Eric and Victoria Dandurand, Cambria, Ca
- Perfect. Can we stay here forever?
Ted and Hillary Strauss, Fairfax , Ca
- What a gift you give to those who cross your path. This is heaven, Thank you!
Frank and Renee Yerrace, Seattle, Wa
- Just like last time. We don't want to go home.
Dennis Harrington, Mill Creek, Wa
- The positive energy of this place is contagious.
Debra Perlson, San Francisco, Ca
- A paradise in the jungle. A lifetime of memories.
Nicole and Alan Nutt, Austin, Tx
- Couldn't get any better than this.
Noah Lifschey Los Angeles, Ca
- We Don't want to leave! This place is everything we were looking for and then some.
Marie and Rick Morin, Somers, Ct
- We drove all around the island and found nowhere as wonderful as here.
Amy and Ian McKinnon, Santa Monica, Ca
- This place has been perfect for our honeymoon. At first we had difficulties which we brought with us, but the healing and protecting spirits present on the property helped us to achieve harmony.
Harold and Wind Shinsato. Missouls. Mt
- The beauty and serenity of this place were surpassed only by the graciousness of our host.
Monika and Wolfgang Goy, Paradise Valley, Az
- The ambience of the house, the estate and the island can't be beat!
Joe and Pam Drennan, Aurora, Ca
- Beautiful place to restore one's self.
April Darden, Sunnyvale, Ca