Recent Guest Comments From Our On Site Guest Book (Updated Regularly)
Some of Our Favorite Comments From Past Guestbooks (Undated Below)
Past Guests May Add Additional Comments In Our Online Guestbook Here
- Mahalo and thanks for sharing your little piece of Hawaiian paradise with us Mark! The calming atmosphere, beautiful setting and comfortable home all made for a wonderful stay. A big Hawaiian mahalo to you Mark.!
Penny and Joe Lammert, Sarasota Fla (6/23/10)
- We were able to book four wonderful nights at River Estate and could not have asked for a better place to stay while on Kauai. This is our first trip to Hawaii and we decided to spend the first part of our honeymoon on the north shore. River Estate is perfect! Romantic, private, comfortable and luxurious all in one place. So wonderfully secluded we felt like we were the only people on the island surrounded by jungle. Kauai is just gorgeous and the views from every part of the island will never get old. Cook your meals here. There is nothing more relaxing than being out on the lanai drinking local beers to the sound of the river. Thanks Mark for such an amazing start to our honeymoon. We can't wait to see what else Hawaii has to offer but we're also very sad to leave! We will never forget our time at River Estate and will definitely be back...
Amalia and Mike Kramvis, Atlantic City, NJ (6/19/10)
- We have enjoyed our honeymoon here at River Estate. It is a very clean well kept home. We loved listening to the sound of the river. It's a great location and is close to several beautiful beaches. We enjoyed many of these beautiful beaches nearby. Tunnels, Secrt Beach and Hanalai Bay to name some. We also did several hikes two of which had spectacular views. The Kalalau Trail down the street was fantastic. We are sad to leave and it's been an unforgettable honeymoon. We would recommend this wonderful property to anyone. Thank you Mark! Aloha and Mahalo!
Eric and Heidi Calladine, Fairfax, Va (6/15/10)
- Mahalo Mark for providing such a great place to spend this last week. This is our 4th visit to the islands in the past 2 years and we always stay on the north shore. Our first stay at River Estate will definitely not be our last. This is by far the most superior house in every respect. We enjoyed the beautiful river, bbq's at night on the lanai and all the well stocked amenities. Ke'e beach, our favorite, was great for snorkeling as always and the new terrace lounge at the St. Regis in Princeville was worth a visit at sunset - absolutely stunning. We came to unwind and relax and the Guest House was the perfect spot to end each day of beach bumming. Thanks again Mark! We'll see you next year!
Mark and Gibly, San Francisco, Ca (6/6/10)
- We came to the beautiful north shore 3 years ago for our honeymoon and we made a promise that we would come back. Here we are. We made it back to Kauai. This time we were blessed with a week at River Estate. We also have our 11 month old daughter Caroline with us. She loves the blue calm water at Ke'e Beach and the birds. We love everything here. My parents joined us mid week so we now have had our first family vacation! Do everything you can but also find to just be here at the Guest House and relax. Thank you Mark for creating such a perfect spot for our family. We all needed to be here. We hope to keep coming back to this magical and peaceful paradise. Much love...
Camille and Brad Price, Denver, Co (5/30/10)
- By all means do these things: Hike the Napali trail at least to the first lookout. Snorkel at Ke'e beach, look for shells at Lumahai beach down the street, stroll through Hanalei, picnic at Anini beach, enjoy the night blooming jasmine outside the bedroom window, watch turtles at Queen's Bath and take lots of pictures. Then you'll have something to say to friends when they ask " So what did you do on vacation?" But here's the thing. Get all these things out of your system the first day because what your really do here you'll find difficult to put into words. When you leave you'll realize you were here for more than an e-ticket ride through Disneyland. The islands have been a state since the 1950's, Kauai has been a state of mind for eternity. So forget the obligatory hustle and bustle of vacations. Ignore compulsions to do stuff. Take advantage of Kauai's energy; find your center and your soul. Be here now!
Russell and Darlene Leitch, Bakersfield, Calif (5/16/10)
- Nine years of visits and the romance goes on!!! Wow looking back to my comments from 2008 what can I add... The house is still the best and the view from the lanai is still my all time favorite. I can never get enough of the river and the sway of the bamboo. We're not much on sightseeing now because we love it here in paradise too much. Ya know between here and Hanalei is enough for us. Quiet evenings on the lanai with the whisper of the wind and a light rain...it's priceless. Mark is a treasure to share this paradise with us. Mahalo nui loa Mark! Thanks again for taking us out to Baracuda for the great dinner. We had a great time and next time we're there I propose cooking for us at the house. Speaking of next time we're thinking of a 3 or 4 week stay. I hope you'll be able to fit us in and we promise to leave! I can now face another few months of the grind! So sorry to go. xoxo
Marla and Joe Doyle, Oceanside, Ca (5/1/10)
- We had a wonderful family vacation here at River Estate. Thank you Mark for the hospitality, activity recommendations, peaceful home and the tasty grapefruits. This is such a beautiful place to live. We talked about picking up and moving here several times. Hawaii we love you!"*"Our stay was a wonderful respite from our day to day lives as retirees. Such a beautiful and charming spot. How we love to have Hawaii as part of the US. We look forward to our next visit with you and the adventures it might bring.
The Hage Famlies, Monterey and Aptos, Ca (04/16/10)
- Mark, this was such a warm base to explore from and return to....It is home and it welcomed us from the moment we drove up. While the rain was relentless it didn't "dampen" our trip in the slightest. We followed the sun and learned more about the beaches and canyons of Kauai than we ever imagined. All the while I felt supported by your warmth and helpful recommendations. I'm not sure I can seperate my Hawaii experience from your grace and care. They are intertwined. Thank you for sharing your wonderful space and like all your prior guests say, making our stay a calming time spent in the midst of enormous beauty.
Jenn and Sarah Besson, Sunnyvale, Ca and Eugene, Or (03/22/10)
- We want you to know that we had a wonderful time at the house, and it was, indeed, everything we hoped it would be. The only thing that didn’t cooperate was the weather, but that made us even more grateful we stayed at River Estate because it has so many amenities. We watched videos on TV, stayed in touch with business clients on the internet, and called directly to the mainland free of charge. On that rainy, rainy day, I got 6 hours of work done on one of my projects. Have laptop; will travel!
Joe Robinson and Rick Mellen (03/18/10)
- We lived in the Caribbean for many years and thought we had found paradise there but the North Shore of Kauai rivals anything we've seen to date.Thanks for sharing it with us in your lovely home.
Cleve and Margaret Patterson, North Saanich, B.C. (03/04/10)
- This was our first trip anywhere in the Hawaiian Islands and I can promise we'll be back. We agree that the Guest House was the perfect spot for our honeymoon. Just sitting the lanai listening to the flow of the river or being greeted by the sweetest little birds after coming home from the beach. Soaking up the amazing chorus of island sounds. We DO NOT WANT TO LEAVE! This is definitely a very special place that Mark has created and we are so grateful that we were able to experience this little piece of heaven to begin our marriage. We drove around the entire island and all we could think about was getting back to the North Shore and River Estate. This is the place to be on Kauai, hands down.
Mark and Ann Frank, Flagstaff Az (02/19/10)
- River Estate Rocks!! Agreed! (Drawing of two people) We don't want to leave! This is a perfect place. We'll be back. I want that jam session Mark! Mahalo....
Steve and Allison Payne, Portland, Or. (02/14/10)
- Many thanks Mark for preparing such a wonderful home and property. Everything is just as it appeared online on your website. Extremely neat and clean. To whomever reads this... You're going to love all the privacy and all the amenities of the house. Here we found everything we needed for our vacation getaway.
Scott and Sarah Demarest, Gilbert, Az (1/20/10)
- During the Christmas rush, caring for an ailing father and just every day crazy life, I kept hearing my husband play Brother Iz on the CD. I should have known something was up. Before I knew it we are on a plane to Kauai for our 3rd visit in as many years. We have traveled to Europe, China and many of our mainland states but nothing compares to this island. It is magical and so full of positive energy. Mark has been so wonderful making the arrangements for this trip. We had never stayed on the north shore before. I didn't think life could get any better but sure enough it is here. Mark your rental is truly a home. I giggled as I opened cabinets to find everything I needed. This is the first time we have ever stayed in just to enjoy the lodging! I am so relaxed and thankful. My best advice is to be flexible with your time. Restaurants are hit and miss up here so enjoy the kitchen in the house or ask Mark about where to eat. The fruit is excellent on the trees. Watch the surfing videos. Awesome! Most of all have fun!
Greg and Shari Matthews, Camino, Ca. (1/9/10)
- Fabulous! We had such a great time here! Mark was so accommodating and he's a really nice guy. Gabe proposed to me on Lumahai Beach down the street and it was the happiest day of my life! (Dec. 8th) It was so nice to come back to the house every night. It has such good vibes. Gabe surfed every day which made him extremely happy. We hiked the Kalalau trail too. It was so beautiful. We hiked all the way to the 300 ft waterfall up Hanakapiai Valley as well. Kauai is beautiful and we'll be back hopefully sooner than later. We are so relaxed and in love! Thank you so much!
Gabe Crane and Laura Lynne, Santa Barbara, Ca (12/20/09)
- Wow what a week, what a house. Things we loved about the house and our stay here. The river was quiet at high tide and loud at low tide. The beautiful smell of the garden filling the house. Sharp knives, cloth napkins and a fresh sponge. All of the items left by others, thank you. The quiet remote location. Mark's hospitality, knowledge and kindness. All the small touches that make the house beautiful. We leave on the red eye flight tonight, sad to go, but totally recharged. A week we'll never forget. Thank you Mark...
Kate, Robert and Andie Biagini-Penrell (12/5/09)
- We loved it all. Even the flood in Hanalei didn't stop us from exploring and enjoying the amazing scenery. We agree with past guests...Snorkeling at Tunnels and Ke'e beaches were the best. For the runners - The run from Tunnels to Ke'e Beach at the end of the road is the best. Sashimi from the Dolphin Fish Market was our favorite. The Zipline tour was fantastic and a great way to see parts of the island. The Napali boat cruise as also great fun and we cruised with Spinner dolphins Mark can arrange it all for you be sure to ask him. We did explore the East, South and West shores but found the North to be the most beautiful and untouched by humans. We loved the beaches and sometimes you are the only ones there which is nice. We travelled far to come here and it sure was worth it! Thanks Mark. See you on Facebook!...
Nathan Williams and Cate Boughton, Australia (11/22/09)
- The Guest House here at River Estate is simply epic! It's beautiful, comfortable and extremely relaxing. It has all the comforts of home with a river. To future guests...Do not let the to-do items on your list overwhelm you. Have breakfast here. Coffee tastes better by the river. Let mark book any adventures that must be scheduled. He doesn't have an agenda (Great guy) The zip line tour he sent us on was insane! Get lost...seriously. You'll find better hidden gems that way. To Mark: Thank you for your graciousness and accommodation approach. All the locals say good things about " The guy in the house before the double bridges" The house and the land here is truly awsome. We felt right at home. We were married on October 31st 2009 and we started the rest of our lives November 2nd to 9th here at River Estate! Aloha and Mahalo..
Heather and Greg Cavlovic, Orange County, Ca (11/9/09)
- Life at River Estate has been good to say the least. We are both stricken by the idea of leaving tomorrow. Despite all the handy photos on the website River Estate still exceeded our expectations. The house is meticulously maintained and tastefully detailed as well as being extremely comfortable and convenient to live in. Mark was a gracious host, always available to answer our questions like "Where do we snorkel when the surf is high?" Th setting and grounds at River Estate are fabulous. The river on the right, the mountains behind, the neighbor's oversized tree providing borrowed scenery, the sense of drama and mystery as you come around the last corner at the end of the end of the driveway. The plants that punctuate the river bank, sometimes revealing sometimes concealing the clear flowing water. The garden is truly a fine senses experience. The citrus grove is useful and many of the flowers are fragrant. The sound of the river changes with the tide. The rustle of the giant bamboo grove across the river. We loved watching the Black Crowned Night Heron stalking it's prey on it's favorite submerged log and seeing the White Rumped Shamas chase each other around the garden and watching the Japanese White Eyes flittering through the bamboo. Thanks so much Mark for creating and sharing this magical place!
Christa and Jesse Godfrey, San Leandro, Ca (11/2/09)
- Mark, thank you so much for providing such a relaxing, serene, beautiful place to make our temporary home here in Kauai. We saw beautiful sunsets and sunrises, listened to the soothing river and loved the privacy. We loved our snorkeling adventures here on Kauai especially at Tunnels and Salt Pond which were our favorites. We had great meals at Postcards, Bouchons and CJs that all were in easy driving distance of the house. Everyone here were so friendly. All in all it couldn't have been better.
Jared and Shelly Noftle, Woodinville, Wa (10/13/09)
- We barely know what day it is any more. This is a fabulous property and accommodations. We love Kauai and this is the best little piece of paradise we have found. We've been here many many many times too! This "Little grass shack" is perfect. When we entered it was both homey and luxurious. Our very favorite part was waking up to the rain, river, birds and all the natural sounds of this private paradise. I adore the gardens and am taking home all kinds of ideas as well as memories of the wonderful time we spent here at River Estate. Mahalo and Aloha until next time.
Jim and Jan Hunt, St. Petersburg, Fla.(9/16/09)
- We are sadly a the end of our 10 days on Kauai at the Guest House. As everyone has said this is a beautiful house in a place that is truly paradise. We spent most of our time exploring all of the north shore beaches. It's amazing how they are all different. We spent the majority of our time people watching at Hanalei Bay. The swimming there is wonderful and walking in the soft sand is such a treat. We also spent a lot of time at Lumahai Beach where the river flows into the ocean. It sure makes for great wading and cooling off while sunbathing. We cooked a lot a the house and enjoyed great breakfasts at the Wake Up cafe. Thanks Mark for sharing such a spectacular house with us. Mahalo!
The Boone-Davis Party, Spring Hope, N.C. (9/12/09)
- Jimmy and I are on our Honeymoon. We came to Kauai after spending a week in Maui. River Estate is the second of these VRBO homes we are staying in. It is a lovely house that has the luxurious feel of a Manhattan loft with all the amenities of a jungle bungalow. We loved falling asleep to the sound of the running river and waking to the sound of the swaying palms outside the windows. The house is well decorated and the location is ideal in that beaches and town are nearby. My favorite list about the house includes...The stained glass window in the front door. The high ceiling and the kitchen island. The art work on the walls. The sound of the trees and river. The privacy of being at the end of the driveway. The very tasteful furniture. The numerous cross breezes. The very big and comfortable bed. The nice wood and slate floors. The lanai. The beach chairs and outdoor shower. If we are fortunate to make it back to Kauai in the future we will definitely stay here again. Thank you kindly for providing us with such great lodging Mark!
Tasha and Jim Hickerson, New York, NY (8/18/09)
- By far the best trip to Kauai we've had yet. We stayed our first few nights at a large resort in Poipu but wish we had stayed here at River Estate the whole time. Nothing beats this part of Kauai! The highlights include awesome snorkeling at Tunnels which is so close to where we are, a wild ride down the Napali Coast with Napali Sea Breeze, Lumahai Beach which is just down the street, Anini Beach and biking the new 9 mile bike path in Kapaa. In between all this we had the most romantic week in our 13 years of marriage! This place is simply magical...Aloha!
Sean and Madeline Sims, San Diego, Ca (8/8/09)
- What an amazing place! Thanks Mark for providing such a beautiful home base for our Kauai visit. Also thanks for all the help planning our trip. We had a great relaxing time and now want to figure out how to move here! To anyone else reading this...Snorkel with turtles at Tunnels and hike the Napali trail to Hanakapiai beach from the end of the road. (2 miles west) It's worth the effort. We'll be back soon!
Justin and Cynthia Maxwell, Menlo Park, Ca. (7/18/09)
- What a wonderful stay we had here on Kauai and at River Estate. We loved the feeling of being away from it all yet still being close to town. The central location in the heart of the best of the north shore is special to say the least. We especially loved being close to Tunnels Beach and we went snorkeling every day. Thanks for keeping the house so clean and well equipped. We were absolutely thrilled to not find one single little critter. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful place.
The Maurer Family, Redmond Wa. (7/10/09)
- Our stay was like a Stan Getz solo. A perfect melodic memory with everlasting lyricism.
Christine and Eddie Vay, New York, Ny
- The estate is the crown and the Guest House is the jewel in the crown.
Eric and Victoria Dandurand, Cambria, Ca
- Perfect. Can we stay here forever?
Ted and Hillary Strauss, Fairfax , Ca
- What a gift you give to those who cross your path. This is heaven, Thank you!
Frank and Renee Yerrace, Seattle, Wa
- Just like last time. We don't want to go home.
Dennis Harrington, Mill Creek, Wa
- The positive energy of this place is contagious.
Debra Perlson, San Francisco, Ca
- A paradise in the jungle. A lifetime of memories.
Nicole and Alan Nutt, Austin, Tx
- Couldn't get any better than this.
Noah Lifschey Los Angeles, Ca
- We Don't want to leave! This place is everything we were looking for and then some.
Marie and Rick Morin, Somers, Ct
- We drove all around the island and found nowhere as wonderful as here.
Amy and Ian McKinnon, Santa Monica, Ca
- This place has been perfect for our honeymoon. At first we had difficulties which we brought with us, but the healing and protecting spirits present on the property helped us to achieve harmony.
Harold and Wind Shinsato. Missouls. Mt
- The beauty and serenity of this place were surpassed only by the graciousness of our host.
Monika and Wolfgang Goy, Paradise Valley, Az
- The ambience of the house, the estate and the island can't be beat!
Joe and Pam Drennan, Aurora, Ca
- Beautiful place to restore one's self.
April Darden, Sunnyvale, Ca