Recent Guest Comments From Our On Site Guest Book (Updated Regularly)
Some of Our Favorite Comments From Past Guestbooks (Undated Below the Dated Ones)
Past Guests May Add Additional Comments In Our Online Guestbook Here
- Guest House - We had such a wonderful trip to Kauai. It was perfect for us to stay the first half of the trip in Poipu and the second half here at River Estate here in Hanalei.This was by far my favorite part of the island. Hiking on the Napali Coast trail and snorkeling at Tunnels beach the water is so clear and I lost track of how many turtles I saw. Limahuli National Botanical Garden was a big highlight for us. We spent almost 3 hours there and it was well worth doing. We learned everything we were hoping to do on this trip about indigenous people and plants of Hawaii right there down the street. Thank you River Estate for being a huge part of our best vacation ever.
The Freidmans, San Diego, Ca (11/28/13)
- Riverhouse - Thank you for a wonderful week. It was our belated honeymoon and what a beautiful place we found. We loved the house. Mark thank you for taking control and helping us. The house was clean and very well appointed. We did so many things and learned so much about the island. Our favorites were the Jack Harter helicopter trip, hiking the trails you suggested and snorkeling at Tunnels. This is a great house with so much character and tranquility. Thanks for a great time Mark.
The Evansens, Thousand Oaks, Ca (11/21/13)
- Riverhouse - We had a great stay here in the Riverhouse. It was the perfect place for us to stay. We love the North Shore . It’s so beautiful and is the perfect place to start our lives together together in wedded bliss here.Thank you for the recommendations on the massage too. We enjoyed tooling around the island. There’s so much to see. We absolutely enjoyed our stay here on Kauai. There was so much to discover and so many beautiful memories for us!
The Hatch Party, Bourne, Ma (11/14/13)
- Guest House - What a truly magical, enchanting island! We experienced a storm and watched the river overflow it’s banks, saw a seal sleeping on the beach, rainbows everywhere,sunset and venus rising from Princeville Resort, flowers in the Hanalei River when we were kayaking there, waterfalls coming off the mountains, two farmers markets and a 45th birthday celebrated with a massage and dinner brought in to the house. This place was a beautiful relaxing retreat that has filled our spirit and awakened our souls….So much love and beauty!! Mahalo and Aloha Mark.
Clint Gans, San Louis Obispo, Ca (11/13/13)
- Riverhouse - Peace-filled, kind, comfortable environment. Symphony of baritone frog, strident roosters, plunk of fruit falling in the river and segments of quiet, no sound. Clean, well maintained and preserved. Kitchen is well stocked former guests keep the cupboards not bare. We will add to the offerings. So easy to feel right at home from the very first day and when we spent time in the house we were happy to do so. Get up early, just listen…don’t busy up all your days here. Soak in Aloha time. Let the humidity open your pores and the peace and soft environment open your hearts. Be here now.
Johntson Party, Lewiston, Id (10/31/13)
- Guest House - Have had a wonderful two weeks in Hawaii culminating with a magnificent stay in this corner of paradise. Every need catered to including roosters at dawn. I discovered River Estate in the Lonely Planet Guide. It has never failed us and this time it understated the beauty of the location. For two Aussies from Down Under it was a perfect place to get away to in Hawaii.Many thanks for providing this home away from home. Liz Irwin here….Thanks Mark so much - Hawaii au natural here in your secluded houseWe have had a wonderful time in Hawaii and our accommodations and hosts wherever we have stayed have been the essence of that. Best wishes….
John Irwin, Australia (10/19/13)
- Riverhouse - Thank you for a wonderful home base for our 10 year anniversary. Was great to be away from the everyday and relax in paradise. We had a lot of great adventures and every day as wonderful. Even when the Hanalei Bridge was flooded. Tunnels was empty for us for most of the morning. It's hard to pick our favorite of all the hikes, activities and relaxing we did. Oh gotta go see the slack key in Hanalei was wonderful.
Washington Party, Ca (10/7/13)
- Guest House - Aloha my name is Hailey. I live in Arizona. This is my first time going to Hawaii. I am 6 years old. I learned to boogie board today. It takes a long time to get to Hawaii. I love the shave ice in Hawaii….Mark, we had a wonderful week with our kids! Your home was a wonderful place to come back to and relax!
The St. Clair Family, Az (10/6/13)
- Riverhouse - Mark we had a wonderful time here as part of our honeymoon. This place is even better than we expected. Thanks for all your help over the phone before we arrived and during our stay. Thanks again for everything. We hope to be back some day to celebrate a wedding anniversary.
James Party, London England (9/19/13)
- Riverhouse - Thank you for a great holiday! We had an amazing honeymoon in Hawaii and especially on Kauai. We really enjoyed the Jack Harter open door helicopter ride. Thank you for setting that up Mark. All in all a wonderful trip.
Doyle Party, Ontario (9/1/13)
- Guest House - Mark, this house is the perfect antidote for staying in a hotel which we did for 4 days prior to coming to River Estate. We really enjoyed the house and I loved how clean it s (that's a mom for you) Also loved the Balinese/Indonesian touches. My family is from Jakarta and Bombay. As you can see we spend a lot of time on the beach then came back to the house for nap time. We definitely will come back to Kauai as it's truly special Thank you for creating such a lovely home for us visitors. Aloha and Mahalo.
The Tan-McGrory Party, Sommerville, Ma (8/25/13)
- Guest House - Thank you for keeping us posted during the "Flossie" storm scare. Luckily it wasn't much more than a rainy night. And thank you for an amazing vacation. Your property alone is a paradise but we ventured out to many beautiful spots to make our first Hawaii vacation perfect! We listened to the river morning and nights!!! Your chairs and boogie boards were used daily!
The Keenan Family, New York (8/2/13)
- Riverhouse - What a fabulous place to enjoy the North Shore. The weather was perfect - Hot and sunny. Perfect for swimming. Your home was luxurious. Our 16 year old loved the privacy of his own room. We all agree with the previous writers recommendations. Thank you for a fabulous stay Mark!
The Labront Family, Ma (7/8/13)
- Guest House - I just realized that I entered the wrong month here in the book. We've gotten so relaxed we forgot what month it is! This is my first time to Hawaii (Nicki) and I will never forget this beautiful island and our beautiful wedding at Tunnels beach and THIS AMAZING HOME! Can't wait to come back!
Jim and Nicki Schumacher, Ca (6/24/13)
- Guest House - Mahalo Mark! This is our second stay in this wonderful Guest House and once again we had a wonderful relaxing time here. We can't wait until our next visit!
The Thompsons, Aurora, Co (6/7/13)
- Guest House - We had a tremendous, truly memorable time here. The home was better than we had hoped.
The Witowski Party, Ma (5/3/13)
- Riverhouse - Best thing about this house? Comfy beds! It's very clean with lots of handy kitchen stuff, great water pressure and plenty of hot water. We loved it here and definitely want to come back. This is paradise!
Patterson Family, Redwood Valley, Ca (3/18/13)
- Riverhouse - As always when good things come to an end it's tough to deal with. We as a group are in awe of this wonderful beautiful paradise Kauai.This is my first visit here and my brother in law's 3rd to Hawaii and first to Kauai. I believe they've realized that everything you ever imagined good is this island in a nutshell. To whomever reads this make sure you take time to get out on the ocean here. We had a great dinner cruise down the Napali with the water calming for just our visit. Then rough again. So live, laugh and love while you stay here it's truly healing. Thanks for sharing these wonderful accommodations with us Mark.
La Jiness Family, Washington (3/8/13)
- Guest House - Mark, what a delightful spot! We loved the sounds of the babbling brook, the singing birds even the crowing roosters! One morning we were the first to inhabit Tunnels Beach and we reveled in the beauty and serenity. The music at the Tahiti Nui was delightful. Thanks for the tip.
Wharmby Family, Oxnard, Ca (3/7/13)
- Guest House - Mark, thank you so much for making your place so comfortable for us. The house is in such a beautiful, peaceful spot and we found it extremely relaxing. We hope to return soon. I agree with you we were"lucky" to be here in this spot. It's so special. I am always so sad to leave!
Hitner Family, Wa (3/4/13)
- Riverhouse - We are here with our daughter and her beau. Highlights include…Falling asleep while being lulled by the sound of the river….Grilling salmon on the BBQ at the house…The hot tub was great after a day of swimming and hiking. We had a wonderful stay here in paradise.
Reef Family, Oregon (2/26/13)
- Riverhouse - Love in blossom turned to love in bloom in this fine abode….the richest memory of the north shore….May all who enter share that splendor!
Antonelli/Sanford Party, Washington (2/20/13)
- Riverhouse - So sad today. We have this little slice of paradise. I asked my granddaughter what she liked about the trip and she said "Everything". The house was perfect and we loved the setting
We spend every day at the beaches close by. They are much better than the beaches on the South side. We were relaxed and content with no need to go beyond Hanalei. Thanks Mark for such a great vacation. From the kids ….We had a wonderful stay!
Woolman Family, Utah (1/26/13)
- Riverhouse - What a lovely retreat! Thanks so much for everything. We echo our compatriots who ventured along with us.
The Kessler Family, Kailua Kona, Hi (1/17/13)
- All Time Favorite Comment....For this Hawaii-raised girl, this place was a dream come true! For twenty-eight years I had wanted to show my husband Kauai, and I could not have asked for a better location, accommodation, or host. From the day I called Mark to make reservations, through the actual stay, the entire experience was a first-class treat! Mark's attention to comfort, style, and details was phenomenal. He has thought of and provided everything for a perfect and relaxing vacation. And I mean everything! Games, music, movies, sunscreen, bug spray, books, maps, island info and Hawaii history, laundry soap, boogie boards, snorkeling gear, coolers, etc. All you need are a swimming suit, a change of clothes and a few groceries. This is old Hawaii, plantation-style living at its finest and just exactly what I wanted my husband and boys to experience. You can't beat it for romance and setting. We were lulled to sleep by soft rain, and we awakened every morning to the soothing sounds of the river. The large property, extensive surrounding gardens and lush, tropical landscaping offer tranquility and complete privacy. The interior design is upscale, tropical, and comfortable. Mark hasn't missed any detail in decorating either! You can't help but relax and move naturally into "Hawaiian time" mode. The property is located on the north end of the island within ten minutes of the famous Napali Coast and its challenging and breathtaking hiking trail, as well as one of the calmest and best snorkeling locations on the island. (Get there early for a parking spot or miss out.) Within minutes the other direction, you have Hanalei Bay, Hanalei Valley and Princeville. Water sports (like stand-up paddling and kayaking) and other activities abound in this locale. There's also no shortage of local eateries. There are also numerous historical buildings to visit. But every night we had the privilege of returning to the best vacation retreat house on the island, if not in the state! Honestly, it was difficult making a decision on whether to just "hang out" there or be busy tourists. The accommodations were only surpassed by Mark's graciousness as a host. He was responsive, attentive and patient to all of our needs and questions. Thank you, Mark, for extending perfect "aloha" to your guests! If you're looking for a unique and authentic "real Hawaii" experience, this is your place. For the price, it's a real bargain! If you're looking for just another predictable upscale hotel, and a vacation spent with hundreds of other travelers, go to Princeville or Poipu. But I highly recommend that you skip the ridiculously pricey St. Regis and stay at River Estate. You can go enjoy a delicious lunch or some Plantation Iced Tea on the St. Regis balcony to say you've been there. I could write volumes on River Estate. My husband fell in love with the island and now has a particular affection for this place. He's trying to figure out how he can get transferred there for his work! If we had to live in Lihue, we'd still rent Mark's Guest House on the weekends! My starving college student son thought he had died and gone to heaven. My sixteen-year old son (who has a very critical eye and strong opinions) now uses River Estate as a measuring rod by which all other accommodations are evaluated. To date, none have measured up! And we're already making plans for a return trip next year. (Hiking the Napali Coast is on our bucket list!) Again, thank you Mark, for helping an ex-patriot fulfill her dream. You really know how to spoil your guests and provide them much-needed rest and rejuvenation. You also know how to show them Hawaii living at its finest. Remembering your place and your hospitality gives us precious memories and something to look forward to. Mahalo!!
Yahoo Travel Contributer Published Online (10/11/11)
- Favorite Short and Sweet Comments from Past Guests.....
- Our stay was like a Stan Getz solo. A perfect melodic memory with everlasting lyricism.
Christine and Eddie Vay, New York, Ny
- The estate is the crown and the Guest House is the jewel in the crown.
Eric and Victoria Dandurand, Cambria, Ca
- Perfect. Can we stay here forever?
Ted and Hillary Strauss, Fairfax , Ca
- What a gift you give to those who cross your path. This is heaven, Thank you!
Frank and Renee Yerrace, Seattle, Wa
- Just like last time. We don't want to go home.
Dennis Harrington, Mill Creek, Wa
- The positive energy of this place is contagious.
Debra Perlson, San Francisco, Ca
- A paradise in the jungle. A lifetime of memories.
Nicole and Alan Nutt, Austin, Tx
- Couldn't get any better than this.
Noah Lifschey Los Angeles, Ca
- We Don't want to leave! This place is everything we were looking for and then some.
Marie and Rick Morin, Somers, Ct
- We drove all around the island and found nowhere as wonderful as here.
Amy and Ian McKinnon, Santa Monica, Ca
- This place has been perfect for our honeymoon. At first we had difficulties which we brought with us, but the healing and protecting spirits present on the property helped us to achieve harmony.
Harold and Wind Shinsato. Missouls. Mt
- The beauty and serenity of this place were surpassed only by the graciousness of our host.
Monika and Wolfgang Goy, Paradise Valley, Az
- The ambience of the house, the estate and the island can't be beat!
Joe and Pam Drennan, Aurora, Ca
- Beautiful place to restore one's self.
April Darden, Sunnyvale, Ca