Recent Guest Comments From Our On Site Guest Book (Updated Regularly)
Some of Our Favorite Comments From Past Guestbooks (Undated Below the Dated Ones)
Past Guests May Add Additional Comments In Our Online Guestbook Here
- Guest House - Aloha my name is Hailey. I live in Arizona. This is my first time going to Hawaii. I am 6 years old. I learned to boogie board today. It takes a long time to get to Hawaii. I love the shave ice in Hawaii….Mark, we had a wonderful week with our kids! Your home was a wonderful place to come back to and relax!
The St. Clair Family, Az (10/6/13)
- Riverhouse - Mark we had a wonderful time here as part of our honeymoon. This place is even better than we expected. Thanks for all your help over the phone before we arrived and during our stay. Thanks again for everything. We hope to be back some day to celebrate a wedding anniversary.
James Party, London England (9/19/13)
- Riverhouse - Thank you for a great holiday! We had an amazing honeymoon in Hawaii and especially on Kauai. We really enjoyed the Jack Harter open door helicopter ride. Thank you for setting that up Mark. All in all a wonderful trip.
Doyle Party, Ontario (9/1/13)
- Guest House - Mark, this house is the perfect antidote for staying in a hotel which we did for 4 days prior to coming to River Estate. We really enjoyed the house and I loved how clean it s (that's a mom for you) Also loved the Balinese/Indonesian touches. My family is from Jakarta and Bombay. As you can see we spend a lot of time on the beach then came back to the house for nap time. We definitely will come back to Kauai as it's truly special Thank you for creating such a lovely home for us visitors. Aloha and Mahalo.
The Tan-McGrory Party, Sommerville, Ma (8/25/13)
- Guest House - Thank you for keeping us posted during the "Flossie" storm scare. Luckily it wasn't much more than a rainy night. And thank you for an amazing vacation. Your property alone is a paradise but we ventured out to many beautiful spots to make our first Hawaii vacation perfect! We listened to the river morning and nights!!! Your chairs and boogie boards were used daily!
The Keenan Family, New York (8/2/13)
- Riverhouse - What a fabulous place to enjoy the North Shore. The weather was perfect - Hot and sunny. Perfect for swimming. Your home was luxurious. Our 16 year old loved the privacy of his own room. We all agree with the previous writers recommendations. Thank you for a fabulous stay Mark!
The Labront Family, Ma (7/8/13)
- Guest House - I just realized that I entered the wrong month here in the book. We've gotten so relaxed we forgot what month it is! This is my first time to Hawaii (Nicki) and I will never forget this beautiful island and our beautiful wedding at Tunnels beach and THIS AMAZING HOME! Can't wait to come back!
Jim and Nicki Schumacher, Ca (6/24/13)
- Guest House - Mahalo Mark! This is our second stay in this wonderful Guest House and once again we had a wonderful relaxing time here. We can't wait until our next visit!
The Thompsons, Aurora, Co (6/7/13)
- Guest House - We had a tremendous, truly memorable time here. The home was better than we had hoped.
The Witowski Party, Ma (5/3/13)
- Riverhouse - Best thing about this house? Comfy beds! It's very clean with lots of handy kitchen stuff, great water pressure and plenty of hot water. We loved it here and definitely want to come back. This is paradise!
Patterson Family, Redwood Valley, Ca (3/18/13)
- Riverhouse - As always when good things come to an end it's tough to deal with. We as a group are in awe of this wonderful beautiful paradise Kauai.This is my first visit here and my brother in law's 3rd to Hawaii and first to Kauai. I believe they've realized that everything you ever imagined good is this island in a nutshell. To whomever reads this make sure you take time to get out on the ocean here. We had a great dinner cruise down the Napali with the water calming for just our visit. Then rough again. So live, laugh and love while you stay here it's truly healing. Thanks for sharing these wonderful accommodations with us Mark.
La Jiness Family, Washington (3/8/13)
- Guest House - Mark, what a delightful spot! We loved the sounds of the babbling brook, the singing birds even the crowing roosters! One morning we were the first to inhabit Tunnels Beach and we reveled in the beauty and serenity. The music at the Tahiti Nui was delightful. Thanks for the tip.
Wharmby Family, Oxnard, Ca (3/7/13)
- Guest House - Mark, thank you so much for making your place so comfortable for us. The house is in such a beautiful, peaceful spot and we found it extremely relaxing. We hope to return soon. I agree with you we were"lucky" to be here in this spot. It's so special. I am always so sad to leave!
Hitner Family, Wa (3/4/13)
- Riverhouse - We are here with our daughter and her beau. Highlights include…Falling asleep while being lulled by the sound of the river….Grilling salmon on the BBQ at the house…The hot tub was great after a day of swimming and hiking. We had a wonderful stay here in paradise.
Reef Family, Oregon (2/26/13)
- Riverhouse - Love in blossom turned to love in bloom in this fine abode….the richest memory of the north shore….May all who enter share that splendor!
Antonelli/Sanford Party, Washington (2/20/13)
- Riverhouse - So sad today. We have this little slice of paradise. I asked my granddaughter what she liked about the trip and she said "Everything". The house was perfect and we loved the setting
We spend every day at the beaches close by. They are much better than the beaches on the South side. We were relaxed and content with no need to go beyond Hanalei. Thanks Mark for such a great vacation. From the kids ….We had a wonderful stay!
Woolman Family, Utah (1/26/13)
- Riverhouse - What a lovely retreat! Thanks so much for everything. We echo our compatriots who ventured along with us.
The Kessler Family, Kailua Kona, Hi (1/17/13)
- Guest House - Whether rain or shine we'll always cherish our own little Bali Hai! Couldn't have been better. Thanks Mark.
Doug and Shelly Kucera, Forest Ranch, Ca (1/6/13)
- Riverhouse - Such a great place. We loved it here. Mahalo!
Bette Yazelle, Santa Fe, NM (12/20/12)
- Guest House - Thanks Mark for twisting my arm to come to the north shore. We had a fantastic stay at your beautiful home and enjoyed the area very much! We'll miss falling asleep and waking up to the sounds of the river.
Sarah, Joe and Hannah St. George, Evergreen, Co(12/9/12)
- Guest House - My husband and I had a lovely time here in paradise and felt very welcome in your cottage. Thank you for the recommending Kirsten. She made an amazing meal for our 10th anniversary.
Emma and Josh Hahnlen, Denver, Co (11/1/12)
- Riverhouse - The Riverhouse was the prefect place for our birthdays and 43 anniversary. Ah the calmness of it all here. And for our youngest son all the magical places for him to explore. Replacing hard work with physical recharging and complete relaxation was the best and the house was idyllic. Thank you again Mark.
Ralph and Stephanie Bannister, Capitola, Ca (10/26/12)
- Riverhouse - Aloha Mark, We have had a very nice time staying in your little piece of Eden. It has been a great place to explore the North Shore from. It was also perfect for our little girl who loved exploring the beautiful gardens you have. Absolutely lovely.
Natashia, Bruce and Aurora Applegate, Pacifica, Ca (10/20/12)
- Guest House - Mark...We are so grateful for our stay in this paradise! Mahalo!!
The Radwick Family, San Francisco, Ca (10/17/12)
- Riverhouse - Mark: We felt so at home in your homes and with you personally. Thank you for all your help and attention to us. We have stayed at both your homes now and love them equally. All the people here have been helpful and sweet. Thank you for all your extra help with anything that we needed and we will remember this trip forever. We are getting married here tomorrow and I know this is the perfect place.
Ralph and Lyneya Eaton, Alaska (10/10/12)
- Guest House - Magic, beauty, solace and splendor! We wanted to see paradise, came to Kauai and found it right here in the Guest House. Magic is in the air…Sounds of the river, the birds and the wind blowing through the bamboo grove across the river. The landscape is wonderful. Bliss! Mark thank you. You're the best!!!
Henry and Mija Ward, San Francisco Ca (10/1/12)
- Guest House - We loved this Cottage….It was the perfect place to enjoy our honeymoon. We wish we'd stayed the full 2 weeks here.
Lindsay and Brandon Gorang (9/27/12)
- Riverhouse - What a wonderful place for 2 couples to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary! Your place is very comfortable and spacious and it worked perfectly for the 4 of us. We have all thoroughly loved Kauai. Particularly Ke'e Beach and Hanalei. Everyone has made us feel the "Aloha" What a wonderful place. Hope to come back here for our 50th.
Helen and Charlie Kent, Concord, Ca (9/22/12)
- Guest House - Aloha! Our beautiful wives have worked very hard to plan such a great trip for my bro Larry and I (Bob) to celebrate our anniversaries (25th and 28th) We arrived today after a great kayaking and hiking trip. We've been on Maui for 5 days and on Kauai for 3 days. This island and River Estate are second to none. We particularly liked sitting on the lanai and listening to the river and bamboo on the other side as we relaxed. By far the most fun we had was when we took our cocktails in plastic cups and grabbed some boogie boards and floated down the river to the beach! We all laughed so hard we almost lost our cocktails. It took a little effort but we made it. There we hung out by ourselves and I body surfed. Then we walked the beach and then back home. What a great experience. Meanwhile cooking all afternoon was our Kalua pig wrapped in Ti leaves. When it was done we had dinner on the Lanai. We're leaving home this evening. Thanks so much for letting us stay in such a wonderful place Mark. It's truly a bit of Paradise!
The Steele Party, New Orleans, La (9/8/12)
- Guest House - Well I have a sneaking suspicion this is just the beginning of many more adventures. Today is our last day on the north shore at the perfectly placed River Estate…..and We WILL be back! The Guest House is beautifully designed and maintained. We spent a lot of time just chilin' out at the house enjoying the sights (gardens and river) and sounds! It is magical and took us no time at all to unwind. The location fit our adventures perfectly. A prime spot for those who enjoy hiking, snorkeling and trying out a new beach every day.There is so much to choose from.
Kyle and Christie Wallace, Edmonton, Al, Canada (9/3/12)
- Guest House - The Guest House was a perfect respite after hiking and camping for four days on the Kalalau Trail. This house lacks nothing. No amenity was overlooked and the location was perfect for exploring all the north shore has to offer. We suggest you utilize the amazing lanai here at the Guest House. We spent every morning reading against the sound of the flowing river. We will definitely be back. Ps Great Movie/DVD collection Mark!
The Tuttles, Yuma, Az (8/30/12)
- Guest House and Riverhouse - What an amazingly beautiful piece of heaven we have found in both River Estate's homes! Kauai is truly a magical place and your homes represent the beauty and tranquility perfectly! There are so many wonderful things to do on Kauai. We love this island and this magical spot and can't wait to return. Thank you Mark for sharing the River Estate with our family. We will remember this trip forever! Fondly….
The Rega Family, Monterey, Ca (8/20/12)
- Guest House - The house was just perfect! Cozy and inviting, beautiful and private, everything we could have asked for was here. Vacation planning?….You took care of it all for us! Thank you for doing so much to help us. We are planning on beaching it today, our last day before moving on to Maui. Many thanks for everything Mark. We take home a little bit of your paradise with us in the form of all the great memories that will last a long long time. Thank you for everything Mark.
The Dilillo Party, Hundington Station, NY (8/25/12)
- Guest House - What an amazing time we had on Kauai! Snorkeling at Tunnels beac, swimming in Hanalei Bay, visiting Anini Beach. It's quiet and beautiful here at River Estate. The sound of the river is very relaxing. Thank you mark. Everything was perfect.
The Bacon Party, Connecticut (8/2/12)
- Riverhouse - Aloha Mark: Mahalo! What a wonderful relaxing time we had here at River Estate. Your houses are beautiful and have such great energy. Thank you for thinking of everything we would need to make our stay a great one. Thanks to for recommending Lisa to us for our vow renewal. What a great person she is. She was flawless and thank you for letting us have our own personal luau on the grounds here to. It was absolutely awesome. We can't wait to get back here!
Robert, Sean, Travis and Peyton Leskau, Houston, TX (7/30/12)
- Guest House - Aloha! The Guest House surpassed our expectations of absolute beauty and peaceful sounds of the river flowing. We appreciated all the odds and ends we didn't have to buy once we arrived on Kauai. From coolers to beach equipment it was everything we needed. Thank you Mark for taking care of all the reservations for the boat trip and zipline. We enjoyed being able to relax without a worry in the world.
Melanie, Jeff, Allison and Brad, Houston Tx (7/30/12)
- Guest House - I've lost count now of how many times I've stayed in the guest House…Maybe 14 or 15?I just don't know why Id want to go anywhere else! Mark is a fabulous host who has everything covered and who is is now a friend. This trip I've barely budged from my spot on the lanai listening to the music of old Mr. Bamboo across the river. This is an image and my favorite Mai-Tais that gets me through lot's of tough spots. It's just so tempting to cook here and chill. Over the years this special spot has just gotten more and more beautiful and tranquil. The house is perfect. There's isn't one extra thing I could wish for. The "Big Hotel" lovers just don't know what they are missing. We're so lucky Mark shares this paradise with us. River Estate No Ka Oi….Again I'm so thankful for another chance to recharge my batteries in this peaceful setting and to sleep like a log to the sound of wind and the river. Mahalo Nui Loa Mark for all you do to make this place so special for us all.
Marla Doyle, Sant Fe, NM (6/28/12)
- Riverhouse - This was our 2nd trip to Kauai and after seeing it the first time we knew knew we wanted to stay in Hanalei. When booking this house we were very excited and let me tell you it didn't dissapoint!!! This time on Kauai we brought the entire family and we all loved the house and property especially. This is what life is all about! Aloha Mark. See you soon.
Izdebski Family, Vancouver, BC (5/23/12)
Guest House - What an awesome house location and setup! We had the most relaxing 3 days here on the river. Going to sleep and waking to the sound of the water was our favorite. We all got great waves in Hanalei as well as good food and tons of sun. we loved playing dominoes on the deck. Thanks checking in on us when we arrived and the surfing tips!
Windsor, Melissa, Adam & Leslie, San Francisco, Ca (3/31/12)
Riverhouse - Four relaxing days!!! This place is so nice it's definitely worth the long trip from Minnesota itself. Hitting the beaches, walking to great areas from the house going both east and west. we walked past the Double Bridges and found a fantastic vista with vistas of surf and rainforest within a mile west of the house. Listening to the birds and light rain some mornings was heavenly. We really liked living in this house for the past 4 days and it was so beautiful here. Thank you so much for everything Mark.
The Wellick family, Minneapolis, Mn (3/30/12)
Guest House - Mark thank you for being such an excellent and thoughtful host. Your property is truly magical and it added another level to our Kauai experience. The island and your property are more beautiful than we ever could have imagined. All of your recommendations for sights, restaurants and activities were fantastic.I can't wait to return to Kauai and try the other things you suggested that were didn't have enough time for. I also wanted to express our gratitude for the way you took care of us during and after the storm. You really made sure we were taken care of and happy throughout the trip. THANK YOU! The house is fantastic. Can't wait to return and stay again but this time in the Riverhouse. You thought of everything and I must say it is very impressive and luxurious. I love how stocked the kitchen is. I wish we would have stayed 2 weeks or more so I could prepare even more fabulous meals! Tunnels beach was our very favorite. And it's so close too!
Ross and Ingrid Anderson, Seattle, Wa (3/17/12)
Guest House - Mark I had no idea how much we'd appreciate your beautiful Guest House until we found ourselves housebound by wet weather for those few days. We really came to appreciate the many comforts you provided. The beautiful grounds, the soothing rush of the river. All of it. Thanks to you it was a fine vacation even though we would have preferred to have been outside a bit more.
The Mulcahey Party, San Francisco, Ca (3/1/12)
Riverhouse - We had an amazing time here. We ventured around the whole island and loved the North Shore the best. It seems to be the most beautiful part of Kauai and Hanalei is a very cute little town. We loved hike on the Napali Trail that starts down the street at Ke'e Beach. We did make it to the falls too. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Mark was very helpful and is a great resource for booking anything you want. He booked a catamaran trip down the Napali coast for us and it was amazing! We'll definitely be back…
Linds and Derek Haward, Portland Or (2/27/12)
Guest House - Mark this place is fantastic. Nice kitchen with everything we needed to feel at home. This house is very comfortable. The nearby beaches were fantastic. We did a lot of the things we read about in the books that were in the house when we arrived. Thanks for taking such good care of us. We will recommend your property to our friends.
Van Marter Party, Boston, Ma (2/18/12)
- All Time Favorite Comment....For this Hawaii-raised girl, this place was a dream come true! For twenty-eight years I had wanted to show my husband Kauai, and I could not have asked for a better location, accommodation, or host. From the day I called Mark to make reservations, through the actual stay, the entire experience was a first-class treat! Mark's attention to comfort, style, and details was phenomenal. He has thought of and provided everything for a perfect and relaxing vacation. And I mean everything! Games, music, movies, sunscreen, bug spray, books, maps, island info and Hawaii history, laundry soap, boogie boards, snorkeling gear, coolers, etc. All you need are a swimming suit, a change of clothes and a few groceries. This is old Hawaii, plantation-style living at its finest and just exactly what I wanted my husband and boys to experience. You can't beat it for romance and setting. We were lulled to sleep by soft rain, and we awakened every morning to the soothing sounds of the river. The large property, extensive surrounding gardens and lush, tropical landscaping offer tranquility and complete privacy. The interior design is upscale, tropical, and comfortable. Mark hasn't missed any detail in decorating either! You can't help but relax and move naturally into "Hawaiian time" mode. The property is located on the north end of the island within ten minutes of the famous Napali Coast and its challenging and breathtaking hiking trail, as well as one of the calmest and best snorkeling locations on the island. (Get there early for a parking spot or miss out.) Within minutes the other direction, you have Hanalei Bay, Hanalei Valley and Princeville. Water sports (like stand-up paddling and kayaking) and other activities abound in this locale. There's also no shortage of local eateries. There are also numerous historical buildings to visit. But every night we had the privilege of returning to the best vacation retreat house on the island, if not in the state! Honestly, it was difficult making a decision on whether to just "hang out" there or be busy tourists. The accommodations were only surpassed by Mark's graciousness as a host. He was responsive, attentive and patient to all of our needs and questions. Thank you, Mark, for extending perfect "aloha" to your guests! If you're looking for a unique and authentic "real Hawaii" experience, this is your place. For the price, it's a real bargain! If you're looking for just another predictable upscale hotel, and a vacation spent with hundreds of other travelers, go to Princeville or Poipu. But I highly recommend that you skip the ridiculously pricey St. Regis and stay at River Estate. You can go enjoy a delicious lunch or some Plantation Iced Tea on the St. Regis balcony to say you've been there. I could write volumes on River Estate. My husband fell in love with the island and now has a particular affection for this place. He's trying to figure out how he can get transferred there for his work! If we had to live in Lihue, we'd still rent Mark's Guest House on the weekends! My starving college student son thought he had died and gone to heaven. My sixteen-year old son (who has a very critical eye and strong opinions) now uses River Estate as a measuring rod by which all other accommodations are evaluated. To date, none have measured up! And we're already making plans for a return trip next year. (Hiking the Napali Coast is on our bucket list!) Again, thank you Mark, for helping an ex-patriot fulfill her dream. You really know how to spoil your guests and provide them much-needed rest and rejuvenation. You also know how to show them Hawaii living at its finest. Remembering your place and your hospitality gives us precious memories and something to look forward to. Mahalo!!
Yahoo Travel Contributer Published Online (10/11/11)
- Favorite Short and Sweet Comments from Past Guests.....
- Our stay was like a Stan Getz solo. A perfect melodic memory with everlasting lyricism.
Christine and Eddie Vay, New York, Ny
- The estate is the crown and the Guest House is the jewel in the crown.
Eric and Victoria Dandurand, Cambria, Ca
- Perfect. Can we stay here forever?
Ted and Hillary Strauss, Fairfax , Ca
- What a gift you give to those who cross your path. This is heaven, Thank you!
Frank and Renee Yerrace, Seattle, Wa
- Just like last time. We don't want to go home.
Dennis Harrington, Mill Creek, Wa
- The positive energy of this place is contagious.
Debra Perlson, San Francisco, Ca
- A paradise in the jungle. A lifetime of memories.
Nicole and Alan Nutt, Austin, Tx
- Couldn't get any better than this.
Noah Lifschey Los Angeles, Ca
- We Don't want to leave! This place is everything we were looking for and then some.
Marie and Rick Morin, Somers, Ct
- We drove all around the island and found nowhere as wonderful as here.
Amy and Ian McKinnon, Santa Monica, Ca
- This place has been perfect for our honeymoon. At first we had difficulties which we brought with us, but the healing and protecting spirits present on the property helped us to achieve harmony.
Harold and Wind Shinsato. Missouls. Mt
- The beauty and serenity of this place were surpassed only by the graciousness of our host.
Monika and Wolfgang Goy, Paradise Valley, Az
- The ambience of the house, the estate and the island can't be beat!
Joe and Pam Drennan, Aurora, Ca
- Beautiful place to restore one's self.
April Darden, Sunnyvale, Ca